Add or manage Monitor Views
In this section, you will learn how to add and manage a Monitor View
Use the following table as your to do list managing Monitor Views:
Now give your Monitor View a unique name, the name can be changed at any time later:
Edit Monitor View
- Name: A Monitor View must have a unique user-friendly name assigned. You can safely change this name at any point later.
- Description - You can and should give your Monitor View a user-friendly description of its intended purpose
- Web Site - You can provide a quick link for users when working with and viewing the Monitor View. This quick link is usually a WIKI/Sharepoint site with additional documentation
Enables or disables the users ability to view historical records for resource. By enabling this feature the user will be able to see how all and individual resources have changed state within Nodinite over time. The history is limited by a system parameter DaysToKeepMonitorEvents in the configuration database for Nodinite.
When checked access to the history of Monitoring Events for included Resources is allowed, default = unchecked
Check this checkbox to allow users of the assigned Roles to execute Remote Actions on Resources part of this Monitor View.
When checked users can perform log audited Remote Actions for included Resources, default = unchecked
In this section:
- Select one or more plugins used to push the alert to end-users
- Customize the output of the alert using Stylesheets
- Configure for Recurrence
You can add more than one Alarm Plugin to a Monitor View to push information when errors or warnings occur (also for OK status change). For example, the email plugin sends an email to concerned users (with an email address specified) to notify about changes in the state of Resources part of the Monitor View.
Partners and customers can create custom Alarm plugins when there is a need to send an alert to another system. Typical use cases are:
- Ticket handling systems like Jira, Freshdesk, ZenDesk
- Databases for custom follow up
- SMS (however most of our customers and partners are using shared mailboxes)
A C# .NET based template exists and can be used for free, part of the license (SA agreement). Contact our support to acquire the latest/compatible version.
- Custom built Alarm plugins that you provide using our templates and SDK's - for use with your issue tracking system
Monitoring Service is responsible for making you aware, Nodinite is Always Aware
The list of plugins can be narrowed down by entering a filter string. Press the 'Add' button to use the selected Alarm plugin.
Some of the plugins (email plugins out of the box) has support for user customization of content sent for an alert. These are based on the built-in Stylesheet support.
example of an alert
Alerts can be resent using the Recurrence feature available in the configuration modal. The values are based on the settings from the Time Interval Configurations. For each Monitor View different settings for the Recurrence of pushing the alert can be set. These can further be detailed on the severity level for the included Resources:
- Monitoring Agent Configuration unavailable - If there is a problem for the Monitoring Service to communicate with the Monitoring Agents
- Unavailable - If there are problems (typically invalid configurations) with specific Resources
- Error - If there are Resources in error state
- Warning - If there are Resources in warning state
With Nodinite Monitor Views the Administrator can change the layout of columns listed.
Customize Columns for Monitor Views option
- Default Columns - These are the typical columns we at Nodinite provide out of the box. May change with newer versions
- Use an existing configuration - Use the columns defined in a Display Field Configuration
- Advanced column configuration - Select the columns of your choice only for this specific Monitor View
- Drag and drop columns
- Artifact rename columns
- Provides ability to show additional columns not shown using the default option
- Provides ability to include dynamic columns
Customize columns configuration, do note the artifact renaming option
You can Add, Remove and Filter Monitoring Agents.
After a Monitor Monitoring Agent Configuration is chosen, you are able to exclude resources from within the chosen Monitoring Agent Configuration.
Click on the Edit button to open the modal with selection options.
You can Add, Filter and Remove Integrations
There are 2 tabs available
Click on either the Save button or the Save and Close button to persist changes. If this is a brand new Monitor View the Show button is not displayed until you have performed the save operation.
Make your changes permanent by clicking either Save or Save and close
Click on the Show button to view the Monitor View with configured options.
Example of the Show Monitor View button
Tip You can create a Monitor View for Dashboard usage. Put a large screen TV in your support team room and use a dedicated user within Nodinite. The Monitor View won't send any notifications if there are no plugins selected.