Formula - Length
TIP: An example of real-life usage, use the Length function to get an alert if a field has less (or more) then X characters
Let's get you started with the following example. For other and more advanced examples, scroll down on this page to the Examples section.
|Text Data||Length expression||Unique values|
Length( ) function can be used on any content, as long as data is returned from the
Content part. It doesn't matter if the content parameter a plain text or any valid Formula Plugin function. Please notice that the numbers returned represents the unique Lengths of the extracted values; more on this later below.
- Return the Length of extracted values from the Content.
- It returns the Length of the unique values from Content
- It can be applied on the Content part that returns data; Like jsonpath, xpath functions or even a plain-text, review the Formula user guide for the complete list of functions.
This plugin loads the entire message into RAM, so make sure to apply this function only on small messages..
The Content part should contain data to use the Length function, (otherwise, it will fail, and you will end up with nothing as the result). But first and foremost, you must configure the Formula plugin:
- Select Formula as expression type plugin.
- Write down the expression to use in the 'Expression' text area.
- Input Content as a parameter to the function.
Use the Length function with any of the following parameters:
From Message Body:
Length(body, [bool unique = true])
From Message Context:
Length(context('MessageContextKey'), [bool unique = true])
Result from previous Formula operation
Length(SomeOtherNestedFormulaFunction(Content), [bool unique = true])
Below, you will find different common examples of how to use the Length function.
"Nodinite" is the message body text; By using the provided expression, the result is
"demo001" is the value for the corresponding key "Correlation Id", by using the provided expression, the result is
The message body is a JSON structure, and by using the provided expression, the result is