What are Search Field Expressions?
Eager to get started? Follow the How to use the Search Field Wizard user guide
Find and correlate your data no matter if it's within the payload, context or even an external source using Nodinite Search Field Expressions.
Search field expressions are used to extract values for Search Fields. For example, an Order Number may originate from multiple messages (of different message types) and in order to find this order number one or more search field expression are used.
- There can be any number of search field expressions for a given Search Field
- Each search field expression can be used on one or more message type
- The search field expression can be set as being Global* (used on all message types) - Use with care!!! This option may affect overall system performance.
- The search field expression can be set as being Optional - Missing data will then not render the event in the Processed with Warnings* state
A Search Field Expression retrieves values from:
- Messages (message body/payload)
- Context properties (Meta data stored in a Key/Value Collection for the Event
- Custom Plugins: External source using data from message or Context
The extract operation performed by the Logging Service uses the statement from the Expression on the selected Message Type using the selected Search Field Expression Type. The latter is a .NET dll implementing the appropriate contracts. The DLL's are put into the 'Plugins' folder of the Logging Service.
We at Nodinite have created many Expression Types for many common scenarios. There are many different formats and data may be within the payload or within context properties (key/value pairs). You may also have the need to clean the data to get the result you seek (for example you only wants to extract the filename from a logged full path).
Nodinite built in Expression Types to use for many possible different formats of your Message Types are the following: |Plugin Name| XML | EDIFACT/X12/FLATFILE | JSON | Context Property| |---|:---:|:---:|:---:|:---:| |Flat File CSV||||| |Flat File Fixed Width||||| |JSON Path||||| |Message Context Key||||| |RegEx on Message Context with capturing groups||||| |RegEx on Message Context||||| |RegEx with capturing groups||||| |RegEx||||| |XPath on Message Context||||| |XPath on Wrapped XPath||||| |XPath with RegEx||||| |XPath|||||
Nodinite is an extensible platform, you may write and add your own plugins. Useful for special cases (lookup tables, API calls, ...) and encrypted messages.
Different plugins comes with a different restrictions on what's possible, please review the Troubleshooting user guide for details.