What is a Search Field?
Enable self service for your business enabling them find what they are looking for and thereby get their own answers. You do not need to know, design and code in advance to find the data you are looking for!
A Search Field is used in Log Views in order to facilitate search conditions and can also be used for applying restrictions. Another powerful feature is the ability for end users to perform Group By operations in the Log Views. An example can be; 'List all business transactions grouped by Order Number' (for example get order and order response, invoice and payment presented together).
- The actual values comes from payload and/or context properties from logged messages. The Search Fields have one or more Search Field Expressions that extracts the values for matching [Message Types].
- There can be any number of Search Field Expressions set for a given Search Fields.
- There can be more than one value extracted from a Search Field Expression. This may be useful when dealing with batches and messages with more than one entity (like multiple orders).
- The Search Field Expressions are implemented as plugins and these are either part of Nodinite and/or you can write/provide your own.
The Web Client provides a test bench for working with Search Field Expressions and related logged data. The actual tests are performed in real-time in the background by the Logging Service. This feature ensures that your tests will work with real data during processing and re-processing (re-index).
Any logged message may be reprocessed (re-indexed) and additional Search Fields on existing data can be added to Nodinite. From a support and maintenance perspective this means that you can find messages based on added criteria in a very late stage. You do not need to know, design and code in advance to find the data you are looking for.
If old data already exists and you want to be able to search according to the new settings for the Search Fields, a re-index user initiated operation must be executed. The re-index operation is based on Message Type.
There are no prerequisites on the logged data and the values can origin from:
- Message Body (payload)
- Context Properties (meta data/key-value pairs)
- Flat File
It is possible to write your own Search Field Expressions Type Plugins using .NET.
The business case can among others be any of the following:
- Lookup table in some data source (SQL, file based sources, ...)
- Encrypted messages (keep the messages encrypted but do provide values to be used in Search Fields)
- Compressed files (Zip, Rar, ...)
- Special cases, for example: 'Get last 2 characters on line 3 in reverse and with uppercase'
Contact our support to acquire a Visual Studio C# project template.